Thursday, March 26, 2009

Earth Hour



When I first saw the video about Earth Hour, I was covered in goosebumps and ended up crying. I try to be very "green", from letting laundry pile up rather than using the dryer (we have had a wet and therefore dirty March!), to potty training my kids as soon as they could walk because both washable and disposable nappies do the environment no favours. I drive an ugly but small engined car, and I save water in ways I'd rather not admit. I buy potted cedars to use as Christmas trees and then plant them in my already cedar cluttered garden, and changed all the bulbs in my house to the eco bulbs, despite their light colour offending my artistic sensibilities, all for the sake of doing my small part to save the planet. So Earth Hour hit home and I have planned the entire night on Satureday around having no electricity and have stocked up on candles. Greenrock is promoting Bermuda's own Earth Hour 2009 and hopefully our little Island can make a big impact in that one hour between 8:30 and 9:30 on Saturday, just to show how easy it can be to make a difference. It could be a night for romance, a seance, playing some guitar, or star gazing - just turn off the lights, and anything else that is plugged in, and enjoy time with loved ones! Here are some shots of what my house will look like.













I am sure the guppies will not mind a few floating candles in their bowl - bigger picture, this type of event is for their future too!



Good luck and I would love to hear what others did.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! And nasturtiums - yummy! I miss them - hopefully there will be some left in May...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you left me a note!