Friday, March 26, 2010

Earth Hour


Saturday night is Earth Hour. From 8:30 to 9:30, you can vote for the planet by switching off your lights. I have to say, I am a big fan of this event. Not because I think one hour of no lights will make a huge difference on the impact humans are having on our environment, from the exponential usage of fuel that is running out, to the terrifying potential consequences of global warming, to the distressing amount of rubbish we produce. But what I do think participating in Earth Hour does is change something else. It changes people's awareness, people's minds, people's attitudes. And hopefully, as a result, this small event will help to change people's actions, even just a little bit.


So Saturday night, please, for one hour, turn off your lights (and everything else if you can) in honour of our Earth - just a little sign of respect to let her, and everyone else living upon it now and in the future, know you are thinking of them, and perhaps make a little Earth Hour resolution of your own - just something small, something manageable, something attainable, some change that will make you feel good and give our children a bit more of a chance at a future.


And for the people who don't believe our carbon footprints are making the earth warm up, that is fine, but please turn your lights off anyway, because we are still running out of energy and although Oslo is sure he can do it, he is only five years old so has a lot of years in school ahead of him before he can discover the viable alternative to oil.


So light some candles, light a fire, roast some marshmallows and play your guitar, or simply enjoy the darkness, the quietness and the feel good factor of making a weensy itsy bitsy difference for just one hour - it all helps.

Happy Earth Hour.


xx


For more information, or if you have utterly no idea what I am talking about, please visit www.earthhour.org or their blog.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Sacha, I'll be turning off my lights in Guernsey and I told my mates in the office about too so hopefully at least one will do it.
    I so enjoyed my hour by candlelight last year, it's a peaceful, reflective time, calming and inspiring at the same time. Thought then that I should do it once a month but of course didn't. So looking forward to it again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be turning mine off in Halifax!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you left me a note!