Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fabric Fervor

Ok - I think I am getting overly excited these days. I don't know if it is because I am pushing myself to be more creative, or if stars are just aligning recently, but either way, it feels so great.


I went to an incredible fabrics sale on Saturday. This wonderful upholsterer is retiring and selling ALL of his stock. There was so much to choose from that half of it you couldn't even dig out from the shelves for the weight of all the bolts piled atop one another. I was there for over 2 1/2 hours and made the most enormous pile that people thought is was another area of stock. I needed to get Oslo and Indigo to guard my precious pile and they were fierce!

At the end, minutes before the doors were closing, I narrowed down a bit, but still ended up buying 17 different fabrics. And you won't believe this, but I am dying to go back! I never thought me much of a textiles addict, but when I was in that inspiring space, fingering all the fabrics and drinking in the richness of the colours and textures of the textiles, I felt this heady rush and knew that materials were yet another blessing on this planet for which I am eternally thankful.

The next morning I had a photo session here at my home studio and although we had planned something totally different, my fabulous client trusted me implicitly and let me go wild. I was beside myself with the madness of a creative type with new ideas spilling out of me faster than I could put them into practice. The set up was not perfect, but it worked and we made some magic I can't wait to share.

I also bought some divine bolts which had enough to reupholster some of my mad antiques so stay tuned to see the results of those in photo shoots in the future.

In the meantime, savour the colours in the thumbnails above, and one of these days, when I next roll them all out and caress their gloriousness, I will snap some proper shots of the true beauty of each piece to share.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Sounds like you were in sensory overload heaven!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you left me a note!